Even way before powedered green tea or matcha became a fad, it had already won me over with its earthy, bittersweet taste. I believe it all started with a sip of Starbucks’ Green Tea Cream Frappuccino some 9 or 10 years ago. Since then I’ve fallen madly in love with matcha and have been constantly craving its unique flavor. Here’s a round-up of some of my favorite matcha-flavored treats that I’ve discovered in the metro:
1) Matcha Velvet Cake (P235++) from Holiday Inn & Suites Makati combines the distinctive flavor of matcha with the milky sweetness of white chocolate.
2) Matcha Parfait (P195) from Le Petit Souffle is a green tea lover’s dream-come-true: soft-serve matcha ice cream, green tea jelly, green tea mochi, KitKat green tea, azuki and chocolate-covered pretzel sticks. It’s definitely one of the most heavenly concoctions I’ve ever tasted!
3) Matcha Mille Crepe (P225 per slice) from Paper Moon Cafe has that addictive earthy, bittersweet taste of powdered green tea perfectly balanced with deliciously light and delicate cream in between layers of paper-thin crepes.
4) Matcha Bingsu (P270) from Hobing Korean Dessert Cafe is a shaved ice dessert that’s so light and very refreshing. The ice is so fine, it reminds me so much of snow. I totally enjoyed its milky matcha flavor, the mochi toppings plus the cashew and almonds (not so much the azuki or red beans but they really blended well with the matcha).
5) Baskin Robbins’ Green Tea Ice Cream is the closest that I could find to Haagen-Dazs‘ version and I’m hooked. Just the right creaminess and bittersweetness, it’s insanely delicious!
But did you know that something so delicious can also pack a lot of health benefits? Aside from having higher amounts of anti-oxidants more than any other superfood, matcha also helps speed up the metabolism and burn calories. It prevents certain diseases, lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Plus it is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals like zinc, magnesium and selenium thereby strengthening the immune system.
Knowing all the health benefits now, wouldn’t you like to indulge in some matcha goodness today?