At the start of 2013, I took on a challenge posted by one of my online friends on facebook: a gratitude jar or box. The idea is to fill the jar or box with notes about things or events — big or small — that make one grateful. But because there’s so much to be thankful for every single day, I decided to just choose the ones I will jot down and put in my jar.
my gratitude jar
In a few hours, we shall bid 2013 goodbye. It wasn’t exactly a great year, what with all the political scandals, calamities and tragic events that shook our nation. On a personal note, we lost our dearest Daddy in March this year. We all know he is happier now, but it still aches to think that he’s no longer with us physically.
Still, God always gives us countless reasons to praise and thank Him. These are some of the notes I found in my jar at the end of 2013:
- January 3: First day back in school and Bea didn’t give me a hard time.
- January 9: Perfect day with my Caloy. I went to the gym while he played tennis and then we had a longsilog breakfast together in a neighborhood carinderia. I love my husband so much!
- February 18: Won a hotel suite accommodation in Hotel Celeste from a facebook contest.
- March 1: Thank you, Lord, for a safe and wonderful 3-day trip to Ilocos!
- March 8: Thank you, Lord, for a great and memorable birthday! Feeling fine at 39. [written on the back of a gate pass slip from Victoria Court - Malate *wink*]
- May 6: Nanay and Poppie’s 40th anniversary weekend celebration at Holiday Inn and Suites Makati
- June 5: Bea’s very enjoyable 9th birthday celebration at Red Box and Hotel Celeste
- July: Won a Club Epicure Premiere membership from New World Makati Hotel
- August 11: Got a free room upgrade to a Deluxe Suite in Hotel H2O. Super fun long weekend with the family! Thank you, Lord!
- August 14: Caloy surprised me with a Goldilocks Caramel Popcorn.
- Hassle-free claiming of Enhanced Availment Benefit from PhilPlans
- found new friends and lunch buddies in the persons of Arlene, Dette and Gem
- afternoon tea dates with my closest friend, Rodelyn
- Won an overnight stay at St. Giles Makati Hotel from its facebook contest.
- Watched Alice in Wonderland (Onstage Greenbelt 1), Cinderella (Resorts World Manila) and Disney on Ice: Treasure Trove (Smart Araneta Coliseum)
- celebrated our 10th anniversary as a married couple
For all these and thousands more, I am very, very grateful. I thank God Almighty for the gift of life, love, family, friends and salvation. I am hopeful that 2014 will bring many glorious surprises and delightful adventures.
May 2014 be our best year yet.